Friday, April 17, 2009

Scout beginning to emerge


Scout has been improving steadily over the past couple of days. I was really stressing about her illness and eventually sat back and realised that I wasn't operating in this process how I would with any other horse. So I pulled her off all the anti-biotics and am now treating her herbally. I have had outstanding success doing this with horses over the years even to the point of completely healing a severely fractured pedal bone.

I spent a few hours looking through all my books and phoned my equine herbalist down in Sydney. I made up a mix of slippery elm to soothe and line her gut and also bought some pot set yoghurt to get the good bacteria back into her system. I also made her a rosehip and garlic tea which I poured over some chaff for her.

Brimming with confidence I drove up to the paddock and Scout trotted over whinnying to me. I presented her with this array of good food and she stuck her nose in the bucket curled her lip up, repeated this then gave it a little taste. After tasting it she picked up the bucket and threw it as hard as she could in disgust. Hmmmm...... this wasn't going to be as easy as I had anticipated.

I attempted it again the following morning but this time just with the tea on the chaff which she loved thank goodness. Then I thought I would put some probiotic powder into a piece of apple. She took this and ate it leaving me thinking I had her tricked. I had forgotten she is a spanish mustang and the next piece she spat at me!

So for now she is getting the herbal tea, chaff and rescue remedy which she is really enjoying. I will add the other bits gradually once I can work out how to do it. It seems she is already proving to be much smarter than I am :/

She has certainly bonded strongly with me and follows me everywhere I go. I was playing with her yesterday and running around the paddock with her trotting close beside me. She got upset when it came time for me to leave and trotted to the gate, stared at me for awhile, realised I wasn't coming back in so she tossed her head at me and trotted off to call out for the herd next door.

Her personality is really coming out now she is feeling better. Everyone is asking me if she has lived up to my expectations. She is so far beyond anything I could have ever imagined. She is all I could have ever hoped for and so much more.


Just look at that lovely neck!

1 comment: