Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Can it really be this easy??

On an impulse, I decided to do some more work with Scout today. She did all I asked of the groundwork with ease although little enthusiasm. We started doing some sidepassing which she picked up straight away as well. Then I hopped up on her again. She was a perfect angel. I lifted the rope into the air and tilted my pelvis asking her for backup. She turned her head to look at me. I stayed in this position whilst she thought about what I was asking. I find she prefers me to just wait whilst she works something out. If I up the pressure at this point she will get annoyed and brace. I did up the pressure slightly and she then turned around and bit the air near my foot - I took her point and I continued to ask politely. She took a small backward step and I dropped the rope and relaxed. I sat there for a short while and then asked again. She immediately backed up a couple of steps. Again I relaxed and gave her a rub. I then asked her to walk forward which she did happily. I passed the rope over her head and asked her to walk forward to the right this time. Again she did this perfectly. We then did another 2 steps of backup and she sighed deeply at which point I jumped off and gave her a good scratch (her favourite thing!) and took the halter off.

She is such a different horse to work with. I have no thought or feeling at all that she will react with a buck or rear. She is all business not only in this sort of training but in how she handles herself in everyday life. She will not exert any more energy than is absolutely necessary and it appears this also extends to my training with her. My flatmates daughter was there while I was riding Scout and she was shocked when I told her this was only the second time she has ever had me on her back. What an incredible mare and it seems Lacey is taking after her in her unbelievably laid back temperament. I have still not seen anything that makes Scout or Lacey jump and flee in fright like you expect from most horses. In fact if something seems strange to them it is customary for them to march right up to it and check it out.

Whilst we were training Lacey decided that she needed to have both our attention and started running full pelt around the yard jumping a fallen tree on each circuit around. She was running at a flat gallop and clearing the log with ease. Lets hope she doesn't decide to try that on the fences when she gets taller! She gets herself so excited when she is running that fast and having that much fun that she makes little grunting noises and squeals and whinnies with delight.

What a pure privelege it is to have these two extraordinary horses in my life.

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you Kirsty!! You have some wonderful horses there. I absolutely love Scout & Lacey's temperaments.....I know Indy must get his calm, bold temperament from his mama!! I'm sure your training with Scout will continue to go easy. My trainer told me that Indy was one of the easiest, smartest horses he's ever trained....obviously there must be something genetic going on!!! Continue to enjoy your wonderful horses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Steph :) It is hard to put into words just how special this experience is for me. After so many years of researching the breed I am finally being excepted by Scout enough to allow me the privelege of being on her back.

    Indy looks so like Scout in so many ways. I am pleased that her temperament passes on. I always look forward to hearing more about your adventures with Indy. I know that you have bonded very deeply with him also. It is impossible not to with these horses it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to find your blog. I've enjoyed reading about your horses. Looking forward to hearing how things progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jill. Great to have you here! More updates will be coming soon. Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete