Thursday, December 3, 2009

An Incredible Gift



Sienna is a true soul mate to me. When I rescued her from the doggers back in March 2006, she was a deeply traumised, very wild brumby mare. I have taken her training extremely slowly over the years. I always wanted to work at a pace that suited her and did not take away from the incredible relationship we have built together. I have a deep respect and honour for her and have always wanted to allow her to hold on to the 'wildness' that makes her such a joy to behold.

Yesterday was a milestone. I have done some small rides on her however no more than about 5 minutes at a time. She still isn't trained to saddle as she has not indicated that she is ready for this yet. Today I went out with a friend - she rode her green horse and I walked beside Sienna as I usually do. I decided to hop on her and we had our longest ride ever. We did lots of long trots and cantered twice which she has so far never done with a rider. She was an angel the whole time and really looked after me. I feel so blessed to have her with me. I know it may not seem like much but to me it was the best experience I have ever had with a horse. After spending so much time building trust I feel so grateful to her for allowing me to ride her.

I am going on a 3 day Mel Flemming clinic http://www.melfleming.com.au/ this weekend with Sienna and cannot wait. I hope to improve my skills to a level that will be more tolerable for Sienna. She is an incredibly sensitive mare and I often feel very sloppy in my body language and body position when I am working with her. She is incredibly tolerant of my misgivings!

Here is some footage I took this morning of the liberty play we do together. She excuses my mistakes and sloppiness as a rider and teaches me each day how to be a better person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slNvBKhpodw

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. You are creating a bond that is nurturing this mare, and she in turn is nurturing you. A gift, as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I do feel so grateful each day to have Sienna in my life.

    ReplyDelete