Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Searching for forward & finding something far greater

What an incredible week this has been! From the lowest of lows to the highest of highs and the ecstasy that lies in all of that. I have been stuck in my life and therefore in my way with my horses. When I finally got on Scout for the first time with the saddle on, no matter what I did, I could not find forward. I tried everything I could think of and then called a friend for assistance. It was suggested I was being far to soft with all my horses and creating pushy, dis-respectful animals and I needed to be more assertive. So I used my energy and body language in the round yard at liberty to get Scout moving out. She ended up doing this well and I was instructed to jump on her and immediately use force to get her to move out. I was in a frazzle by this stage and following instruction's without thought. I jumped on Scout and put my leg on her hard numerous times and then used the rope forcefully to ask for forward. Needless to say, Scout was not at all impressed with this new change in my demeanour and nor was I. She told me in no uncertain terms by bucking me off (and who could blame her!). She was communicating with me on the same level with which I was communicating with her. The session continued with me jumping back on and asking again but getting nowhere other than feelings of immense pain, displeasure and total trauma that I could fail my horse in such a major way. I walked away bleeding and bruised on many levels.

The next morning for the first time since Scout joined me, she did not whinny to me when she saw me. At lunchtime as I sat outside she looked at me sideways, again without her usual whinny, instead turning her rump on me and walking away. I was shattered!!!

Through my greatest misery came my most important insight ever. I have often wondered what happens during the journey from childhood to adulthood. How do we lose that connection to nature that seems to happen without thought. No thought was given to jumping on my horse bareback and letting him gallop wildly across the paddocks, me whooping with joy without negative thought, just enjoying the moment.

I finally got that today and realised what I have been missing all this time. Reading endless books on what is right and wrong in how I should be with the horses, taking lessons from people to try to find my way again, begging the horses to accept me in a pitiful way as I pined once again to feel that boundless uninhibated joy that I felt as a child.

There is no right and wrong!!! There is only now and the celebration that lies in the moment. I realise how much horses respond to me when I am living in the moment instead of being stuck in my mind thinking about how to do this, what could go wrong etc. In that moment, I knew what to do! I ran into the paddock and down the hill to where the horses stood under a tree. The neighbours horses saw me first and startled slightly then quickly turned tails up snorting then joining me running along the fence beside me. When I got down to my horses, Lacey was already prancing around in circles tail up snorting. Scout calmly walked straight over to me and I leapt on to her back and she immediately moved forward up the hill. No tack to inhibit her, no halter to lean against, no saddle to restrict her, just the surging energy from my body to hers. I smiled as she walked out calmly, soon stopping under a shady tree. I sat on her back and groomed her mane, neck and tail with my fingers. She craned her head forward in pleasure dropping her ears to the side and then turned her head around to my foot and stood for sometime breathing on my toes till her eyes closed as if in relief that I finally understood what she was trying to tell me all this time. She is so sensitive to the energetic connection and needs me to be present in mind and body before she will happily work with me. When riding her at complete liberty like this she is extremely soft and will follow any slight direction from my body. She will try hard to understand what it is I am communicating to her as she has nothing to brace against. Without my usual uncertainty about how to ask her or what to ask everything just flows. No tack to inhibit us, just true connection and the ease that follows that.





2 comments:

  1. It sounds like she was confused. Some horses would rather do nothing than do the wrong thing.
    How would she know that all of your gestures were supposed to mean for her to go forward? She's never been in that partucular spot before.
    One thing I have learned about helping a horse go forward when they're stuck is a simple cue. Whether on the ground or in the saddle, if the horse is stuck, calmly ease or direct the horses front end either left or right to the point of where they need to take a step to rebalance. It might take a really big bend in the neck and shoulder. As soon as they start to step, release and go straight with the energy you've just created. It's easy,uncomplicated and non stressful for the horse. Praise for the forward step,as soon as you get it. It's a great feeling when they understand it.
    You need to just keep trusting your gut with your horses. I'm sure the tack changed the whole deal for her. If you keep working calmly and thoughtfully, overtime, she'll understand that the tack doesn't mean anything different from bareback. Hope this helps and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill. Thanks very much for your advice. I will certainly try that if Scout gets stuck again. I have only sat on her once with the saddle on. All the riding we have done to date has been bareback. Ever since the day I rode her in paddock at liberty, forward has been no problem at all. Scout really seems to be enjoying our rides now I have dropped all agenda. It will be interesting to see if Scout struggles with the cues once I ride her with the saddle on. If she does I will be using your gentle way of communication to work through it with her. Thanks again Jill.

    ReplyDelete