Sunday, July 4, 2010

USA Adventures - Part 2

We hit the road armed with the trusty GPS and drove to Colorado.  It was amazing seeing how quickly the scenery changed from the desert landscape to snow capped mountains.  We spent the night in Durango then drove into Silverton and wandered around a few of the shops.  From there we headed up to Grand Lake where I had stayed a few years earlier when I was travelling around doing barefoot trimming courses.

It was as beautiful as I remembered it being and we spent two nights there awaiting the road through Estes Pass to open.  It was nice to take some time to relax, walk around enjoying the scenery and wildlife which included elk and moose.  We were still suffering from jetlag at this stage and the altitude was also taking its toll.  Despite this I enjoyed the Colorado Rockies immensely.  

We drove through Estes Pass and were amazed at all the snow and the beautiful mountains that seemed to go on forever.  

After a wonderful time in Colorado we then moved on up into Wyoming.  I was so excited to finally be able to see the Cayuse Ranch and meet Josie and the horses.  I spent a very memorable day seeing all the incredible horses that I had admired in photos for so long.  Seeing them all in person in their vast home environment was awe inspiring.  Josie knew each and every one of them by name and her passion and love for them was clearly evident.  

I was thrilled to be able to see Grey Feathers sire and dam and her brothers that were also running on the ranch.  Grey Feather has taken alot of traits from her magnificent sire I'Kkitsi Peta (Grey Eagle).  She moves just like him and has the same powerful presence as he does.


I'Kkitsi Peta - Injun x Little Pacer


After seeing the stallions and their mares and foals we drove over to see the batchelor stallions.  There are 18 all up and they are the replacement stallions for the herd sires that have either passed away or are older.  There are some magnificent horses in this bunch and I was excited to see them all.

The first group we came across were a friendly lot.  I was immediately drawn to a jet black colt that is a Payaso son.  He has the sweetest temperament and was loving all the attention.  Then we went on to see a 4 year old Rambler son and a Chato's Shadow son.  Josie informed me the Rambler son is for sale and I looked him over approvingly.  He is a very nice colt!
 


Rambler x Lonesome Oshoto (left) Chatos Shadow x Mountain Mist (right)






Next we came across a stallion who is a Chief Masada son.  He was calmly meandering alone across the pasture.
 
Chief Masada son








We then headed further up the rise where a group of colts came running towards us being pushed on by a handsome dark grulla stallion.  There was another lovely 4 year old Rambler colt amongst them who is also for sale.  He seemed to have an inquisitive nature and his coat had an incredible golden shine to it.


Rambler x Wyoming Dusk

Also in the group was a beautiful Seqouyah son who had the same unusual blue colouring as his sire.  He is a very beautiful stallion  with fantastic conformation and I am eager to see what he produces in the future.

The dark grulla walked up to me and stood allowing me to pat and admire him.  He was a powerful horse and I was really taken with him.  I eventually walked away from him to go and see two grulla stallions further up the rise.  I photographed the two grullas and walked in to start patting one of them.  He stood lapping up the attention and then suddenly took fright and they both bolted off down the valley.  I turned around to see the dark grulla cantering up ears back telling the two stallions to leave in a very clear manner.  He chased them down the little valley and then quickly returned and stood very proud on a rocky outcrop.  Wow! What a display and what an incredible horse.  I thought to myself had I not have seen Grey Feather this handsome stallion might very well have been coming home with me.
Azor x Lonesome Prairie

Next we left and went on to see the yearling and two year old colts and fillies.  There are some lovely horses there but the silver grulla caught my eye immediately.  He looked so much like Grey Feather and Josie confirmed that he was in fact her full brother.


Grey Feathers brother (centre) 2 year old colt







After we had seen all the horses on the property I thanked Josie and Jim and reluctantly left the ranch with many fond memories.


A few more pictures of the Cayuse Ranch horses
 Batchelor stallion

Grey Feather's dam - Prairie Feather with her new all white colt




Rambler - Chief Crazy Horse x Yellow Rose














A Rambler 2010 foal
















Sundowner - Jack Slade x Esperenza  

Still looking magnificent at 22 years old!



The Cayuse Ranch have a number of horses available for sale.  Contact them for more information http://www.cayuseranch.com




No comments:

Post a Comment