Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Scout's First Hoof Trim

I phoned my trainer and friend, Gavin yesterday and spoke to him about trimming Scout. I have trained in barefoot trimming and am a stickler when it comes to keeping horses hooves trimmed every 4 weeks. I was very keen to have Scout trained to stand for trimming so we could get started on realigning her hooves. There is only minimal work to be done but nevertheless sooner rather than later is better in my opinion.

I had started teaching her to pick up her legs. She wasn't overly thrilled with the idea and turned around a couple of times nipping at the air near my butt!! This only happened twice and then she would stand and give me her feet for a few seconds.

Gavin is also a very good barefoot trimmer so he played the farrier role for me yesterday. He can pick a horses personality within seconds of working with them. He came in picked up her foot and she stood nicely for him to trim that one. She played around and pulled a bit with the next foot. Gavin said that she was not reacting at all out of fear so I was not to let her take a single forward step. If she was fearful there was no way we would have blocked her like this.

She danced about and pulled a bit and then stood like a lamb for the rest of the trim. She learns so quickly that it astounds me. I have been playing a bit with her lately just backing, sidepassing that sort of thing and she picks things up immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment