Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reassessing Self, Life and Relationships

It has been a little while since I last posted. During that time I have been assessing a lot of things about myself and my path with horses. My journey with Scout has pointed out a number of things so far. The main one being that we have not truly bonded. She has only been here a few weeks so that is to be expected. The main epiphany in all this though is that I am always trying to get things right for the approval of everyone else in my life - horses included. This is off-putting for both people and horses and it sometimes makes me inauthentic.


Scout is always excited when I arrive at the paddock as I bring her food and this is her most favourite thing. When I sit somewhere else in the paddock that is not near the feed area, she will watch me intently for sometime but has chosen not to yet venture down and connect. If I am up by the shelter she will stand with me usually hinting to get her food or asking for a rub.

I have no doubt that I will bond with her and very strongly, however the last week has been such a learning experience for me through the realization that I was misreading the situation and that I was not worthy in Scouts eyes. This bought up a lot of old fears that I have not looked at deep inside myself. Fear of rejection, fear of failure, fear of confrontation.

Yesterday was the turning point for me. I asked my trainer friend to come and do a lesson with her as I was severely blocked in my mind when it came to Scout. Number one: She is a dream come true for me and I am placing immeasurable value on getting everything right with her. Number two: She has cost me a years wages so I have placed a monetary value on her in my mind which also makes me treat her differently. Number three: I am focusing on the differences of the Spanish Mustang and the unfamiliarity on where to start with the relationship forming process that I keep doubting and questioning everything I do. The end result - Scout said you are not a worthy companion and has blocked me.

In my eyes - the horse is ALWAYS right. Scout is showing me all my insecurities smack bang right there in the forefront of my mind and I have to look at them and work through them before our relationship can become honest.

So anyway, my friend came and asked what I wanted to achieve and I was a bit blank as to why I had asked him to come. Eventually I said that I would like him to just work with her and I would stand back and watch but I did not want him to have to be hard on her. What happened throughout the lesson was extremely difficult for me. Gavin had to get extremely hard on Scout in order to get what he was asking for. He said she is a stoic mare and she will take a lot before she will give. Without going into detail, within 15 minutes he was sitting on her back with her not batting an eyelid. I was given a stern talking to for making her dull by allowing her to get away with too much and be pushy. I took this all on board and came home my mind working overtime. I understood all that he was saying however my heart was telling me (as it has for sometime now) that none of that way of training is right for me or my horses. There is a better way to achieve these things and in the end is that submission really what I want to achieve? I like my horses to maintain and grow their self esteem and personality not the other way around.

I then came home and talked to my good friend Carmen about all this and that night we sat down and watched the DVD 'The Path of the Horse' . I had watched it a couple of times previously and am always deeply affected by it as I am when I watch my Klaus Hempfling DVD's and Nevzerov also.

I made a decision to honour myself and my horses and to follow this path only. I have been wavering in and out of this thought process over the past year or more. The main reason for the inconsistency being - what will everyone else think? I have received some strange looks from friends when I discuss the way I want to be with horses - no pressure, no riding if they choose that, just a true mutual love and honouring of what is needed to give them a full and happy life.

I am going to be true to my heart and follow my instincts on this one. It will not be an easy road as it means re-learning everything and starting from scratch however I have had some amazing experiences with my horses, the type that I will remember for a lifetime. Interestingly all of these incredible experiences have not been riding but connecting with my horses from a childlike space.

I fondly remember taking my Arabian mare Jade to the beach for a few days in winter. I spent hours walking, sitting and being with her in the paradise that is the Noosa North Shore beach. It is quiet there in Winter and she was the only guest horse there. I took her down the beach this particular day and it was deserted. I took the lead off her and we walked together freely for 3 hours. She would never stray more than 10 metres from me and when we got to the river mouth where the river meets the ocean we ran together me laughing and then jumping into the water. Jade joined me in the play and splashed me, laid down in the water near me and then we walked back to our accommodation on a deserted beach lit by a full moon.

These are the experiences that make my life whole. Unplanned moments of pure love and joy - uncomplicated by fears and thoughts. This is the path I hope to continue on with my girls.

5 comments:

  1. I really get that you are coming from a true and heartfelt place. Enjoy the journey, be safe and allow us in now and then. I know that I will like to have an occasional window into that world.

    Tell me more about The Path of the Horse. I don't know if I am familiar with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Simrat.

    'The Path of the Horse' is a documentary by Stormy May. She was a very accomplished horse trainer, instructor and judge. She began to see that something was lost in the horse-human connection and gives up her career to travel the globe and seek out another way. She connects with Mark Rashid, Carolyn Resnick, Linda Kahonov, Kim McElroy, Klaus Hempfling and Nevzerov. It is a beautiful, thought provoking DVD. Here is the link to the site:
    www.thepathofthehorse.com/

    I will be sure to continue updates on my blog on where the journey takes my girls and I.

    I will also be keenly watching your blog as the magestic Paisano comes home to you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsty, Have no fear of having Scouts partnership. But Scout has decided that you are to follow her. She is waiting for you to join up. During your new path with Scout remember that SM's are more intelligent and require respect from you or whoever is working with them. They will be tougher to get through to. You will have moments of sheer bliss and many more moments of sheer stuborness. It's worth it in the end and the path you have chosen will develop magificence like you will not believe when at some point down the road she finally feels right with you and your work together.

    This mare has settled in that's all, and she is testing your resolve to be lead mare. She doesn't want to be your pet, she is not romantic. She is a true partner and when you step up and asert your leadership she will then join up and regard you with the same respect she requires from you.

    If you patsy her, she'll lose repsect that is all this is about. Remember she is mearly a Spanish Mustang, that's all.

    Go stand tall in front of her at her feed bin. Then raise your higher than her head sharply and point for her to leave the area. Growl if you have to. Then make her leave. You stand in her spot and tell her "this is my spot and you cant have it". That will begin to turn things around. She will want to get back and you won't let her. Change of roles. You are now boss again. When you finally allow her to come up to the food it's at your whim, and you then make her stand with you for petting and loving. If she doesnt want to stand with you and gets pushy she can leave again as many times as it takes. When you are satisfied walk away with out fan fare letting her eat and think. Do this occasionally just to let her know you can. Always petting her and loving on her before you leave. She will begin to see you as the lead mare.

    Just a suggestion, keep us updatded I love Nevzerov!!

    ;)S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your kind words and advice Susan. I really appreciate your support. Scout is very good at feed time and all I need to do is use my eye and she will stand politely not moving until I leave. If I walk past her whilst she is eating she will swing her hindquarters away from me. She learns so quickly. I am arranging for her to come home with me as soon as I can get the paddock approved for quarantine. Things will change dramatically then for both of us I feel. Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think i've seen 'the path of the horse'. It's heart touching, isn't it! I would LOVE to do what 'Stormy' did.

    Imagine being able to make a horse fly. Wow, and it's all natural horseman ship... It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete