Thursday, September 9, 2010

USA Adventures Part 6 - Grey Feather and the Little Cayuse Ranch

We started the very long drive back down from Minnesota to New Mexico via Utah!  All up during the trip we drove over 10000 kilometres.  It was quite exhausting but I had well and truly mastered driving on the opposite side of the road by then.  We saw so much beautiful wildlife, stunning landscapes and of course horses along the way. 

Grey Feather racing the feed truck

I was very excited to get back to New Mexico to see Donna, Jim and Sierra again and of course Grey Feather.  She was more captivating and beautiful than ever and I spent a long time watching her.  During the days I would do some work haltering her, asking her to yield her hindquarters, forequarters etc and of course just getting to know each other.  She is very sensitive, intelligent and curious which was pure joy to when it came to groundwork.  She is incredibly quick to learn and I have no doubt that we will go a long way together.  

I watched one day when the horse trailer was backed into a space in one of the yards to allow the mares to get used to it.  I was very surprised to look from the house to see Grey Feather loading herself into the trailer, standing then coming out a number of times.  One of the other fillies, Josee was watching all this and came over to investigate.  Grey Feather seemed to like her new audience and quickly lept into the trailer, then backed out turning her head to see if Josee was watching.  She did this a number of times before finally staying in there and having a nap!  Needless to say she travels very well! 
I had a wonderful time at the Little Cayuse Ranch and am so grateful for the hospitality that was shown to us.  It is rare to find people who open their home and hearts to strangers and this is exactly what Donna, Jim and Sierra did for us.  The time spent there will be engraved in my memory for along time.  I learnt a lot, laughed a lot and bonded with my beautiful filly.
Azor Neosho

During my final week in the USA I received an offer of assistance to help me bring a Cayuse Ranch stallion out.  I eagerly accepted and after a few phone calls the powerful, kind grulla stallion I had admired the day I was at the Cayuse was set to join me and my mares in Australia.  

This was more than I could ever have hoped for and I am thrilled to finally be able to offer future Spanish Mustang foals to people in Australia and New Zealand.  The Spanish Mustang will be a powerful presence in Australasia.  Scout and Lacey have thrived since being here and I am certain they have a huge future in this part of the world which will hopefully one day assist in the Spanish Mustang being removed from the critically endangered list.  My hope is that they will be around for future generations to experience the depth and magic that a relationship with a Spanish Mustang brings anyone who shares a bond with them.







Sahara & Grey Feather

Sunset at the Little Cayuse Ranch

No comments:

Post a Comment