Friday, October 29, 2010

Update on Takoda's Spanish Mustangs

Lots of exciting news of late for Takoda Spanish Mustangs Australia.  Here is a long overdue update!

Lacey
The weaning of Lacey is going far better than I could ever have expected and Scout is loving this new chapter in her life.  She is located next door to where I am living and I take her and Kiowa out walking at least once a day.  It is very clear that she desperately wants a job to do now.  She is eager and responsive when we go out and yesterday she was reluctant to go back to the paddock.  She seems eager for adventure and I am thrilled to get to know this new side of her.  

I have decided that it would be best for her to go to a trainer for 4 weeks as I do not have the confidence to do her the justice that the trainer would.  She has a strong need to understand clearly what is asked of her and she really wants some consistency right now.  She will go to Wayne Williams for her training.  He has trained a couple of horses for me in the past and the results speak for themselves.  He lays a very solid foundation and gives clear direction in his training and I know this is what Scout is asking for right now.  It will be hard for me to let her go however I will be visiting her every week during this time.

Lacey is doing really well and I have taken a step back from handling her all that much right now.  She is living with Sienna who is a strong lead mare and seems to be priming her for the job in the future.  I decided that I want to just leave them to it and not interfere for the next couple of months.  I visit them twice daily to check them over and feed them.  Lacey is looking fantastic and is bright and happy which is very encouraging.

Grey Feather and Sahara reunited at the Little Cayuse Ranch
Grey Feather has left Caballos De Destino Ranch in South Dakota and has gone back home to the Little Cayuse Ranch in New Mexico where she will spend some time settling in foal.  She is booked to fly to Australia in March next year all going well with the pregnancy.  She travelled really well on the trip back and was very happy to be reunited with her buddies.  She seems to have a growing group of admirers in the USA also.  She really is a striking filly and I am so fortunate to have her come and join us in Australia.

Neosho at The Cayuse Ranch
Neosho was transported to Free Horse Farm and handled the long road trip and ferry ride perfectly.  He really is an amazing horse and I am so thrilled by his kind and calm temperament.  He has had time to settle in and his training will begin this week.  

Shadowhawk - 4 months old
We have another new addition for Takoda Spanish Mustangs named Shadowhawk.  He is the colt born to Renegade Shadow x Little Dove that I visited in the USA this year when he was just two weeks old. He is a high quality colt with impeccable conformation and a bold and personable temperament.  He will live with Leslie at Twin Hollows for the next few years while he matures.  He is a really special colt that has a strong presence and grace about him even at such a young age. 

On the home front, I have finally found a place to move to that will be a wonderful home for me and the horses.  We will be moving to Kingaroy either the end of this year or early next year.  The horses will have 160 acres to call home and I am hoping for this to be a long term solution to the ever-transient life we have had to live over the past 3 years.  Exciting times all around !

No comments:

Post a Comment