Friday, October 22, 2010

Weaning a yearling!

Lacey
I had tried to wean Lacey a couple of times over the past 6 months or so but each time was to heartbroken to continue the process and within a day they were back together.  I wanted to let Scout wean Lacey herself however at 14 months old there is still no sign of Scout doing that and despite all the feed they are getting it is clear that Scouts body needs a break.  I really don't like to have to make this decision for them as I do not feel it is my place however I had tried everything else to help Scout put weight on to no avail.

I went to the paddock with the intention of loading Sienna and Scout and bringing them home with me.  I had put up an electric fence on a vacant block a couple of doors down ready for the process.  I turned up at the paddock and the mares all came running down to greet me.  Sienna is a real problem loader due to her troubled past and I intend to spend a lot of time working on that with her once we have settled into our new place at the end of this year.  I have a friend that will be making me a trailer similar to the ones they use in the USA in that it will have two stalls so the horses have a lot of space and will not feel as claustrophobic as they seems to in a 2 horse straight load.  

So it turned out that I did not have the length of time necessary to have Sienna load and I don't like to pressure her or me with a time limit.  I did get her on the float however I did not want to shut the tailgate and take off.  She needs more time to settle so I let her go again and loaded dear Kiowa who takes everything in her stride and takes on absolutely any task asked of her in a calm no fuss manner.  Kiowa is an omega mare in that she is always bottom of the pecking order and gets mercilessly picked on.  Scout in particular is very rough on her.  She used to bite her daily in the same spot on the rump and chase her at a flat gallop around the paddock.  One day I decided to intervene as I felt so bad for Kiowa and I found it fascinating to notice that Kiowa filled an essential role in the herd.  Scout was very distraught not to have her there and was calling for her even more than Sienna and Lacey.  I realised very quickly that they all, including Kiowa have a need for her to take up that position.  If I leave Kiowa alone with Lacey then she is essentially the lead mare in that little herd and she is not at all comfortable with that role.  Even when I have taken Scout out for a walk, Kiowa gets very upset to not have her there also.  So I put her in the float and she waited patiently until I loaded Scout. 
 
Scout contented in her new paddock
Scout and Kiowa have settled in very well to the new paddock and I have also seen Scout grooming Kiowa and vice versa.  That is something I thought I would never see!  Scout is handling the weaning process very well and has become very affectionate with me also.  She calls to me and comes galloping down when she sees me and sticks to me like glue whilst I am in the paddock with her.  This is quite a shock to me as she is a mare with a very distinct personal boundary.  She usually values her space however that seems to have shifted for the moment.  Kiowa is very relaxed also and I am very surprised at how well they are taking the change that I have so dreaded.  
 
When I go to the paddock to feed Sienna and Lacey each day, Lacey will come galloping down and look at my car and the road waiting for Scout to return.  I feel really bad for her and am looking forward to the day when they can all go back in together.


I am however really enjoying getting to know Scout all over again.  It is wonderful to see her so content and settled in this new situation and I am loving the time we are spending together right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment